Subject: Re: java download drama
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/27/2005 18:57:48
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> 1) I wonder if that downloading could be automated (ISTR it used to be,

It used to be as a hack.  Sun has changed their download process so as to
make this sort of thing very difficult, and (IIRC) their click-through
license does not permit it.

> 2) The download instructions aren't clear at all.

> The first URL
>    doesn't show a JDK 1.5 anywhere, the second one only gives a
>    jdk-1_5_0_*04*-linux-i586.bin but no *05*.

The phrasing on Sun's download pages has changed over time.  I've updated
the sun-j??15 packages to match, including a COMMENT and DESCR update (with
PKGREVISION bump).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>