Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/security/sudo
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/26/2005 17:07:12
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Quentin Garnier wrote:

> We've had "PKGREVISION= #empty" around for quite a while,

In some packages.  I've removed it in some places, too.

> Yes, and PKGREVISION= #empty is bad because ... ?

The Makefile should be as short as possible, to reduce the number of
variables needing blanket changes.

This type of pkgsrc refinement is not uncommon -- variable name change,
usable value changes, etc.  (To make this reference more relevant:  There's
still the stale tech-pkg thread about the meaning of PKGREVISION on the head
vs. the branch of pkgsrc and inconsistencies between them wrt security fixes
when a package change is not pulled up wholesale.)

If a variable isn't in the Makefile at all, any procedural changes to that
variable don't require a commit to munge the existing one into the new form.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>