Subject: Re: Coexistence of pkgsrc and non-pkgsrc on Solaris
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/26/2005 10:18:54
--tDYGg60iReQ7u8wj

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 10:06:20AM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> I know very little about Solaris.  I am doing some work at a site that
> runs Solaris, and they like to install precompiled Solaris packages
> from sunfreeware.com.  I want to add some stuff that's available in
> pkgsrc, but not available from sunfreeware.com.  I'd prefer it if I
> could use gensolpkg to create Solaris-format binary packages that can
> be installed in /usr/local with the Solaris "pkgadd" command.  (There
> are multiple machines, and an existing procedure for adding stuff via
> "pkgadd", but it would be a pain to add a whole new pkgsrc
> infrastructure on every machine.)

OT: if you use binary packages from sunfreeware.com then you have much
bigger potential security problems than pkgsrc incompatibilities..

> Here's a sample problem:  They already have python and subversion
> installed in /usr/local.  I want to install py-subversion from pkgsrc.
> py-subversion depends on python.  I want it to use the
> already-installed python and subversion, not build and install extra
> copies.  Is there a sane way of doing that (for values of "sane" that
> generalise to multiple packages)?

it wouldn't work.  you will be missing proper dependencies and such
setup is intentionally not supported by pkgsrc.

> Alternatively, can I run gensolpkg in a mode where it magically
> relocates things, so that the resulting Solaris binary package installs
> stuff in /usr/local, even though pkgsrc uses LOCALBASE=3D/somewhere/else?

not really, again, you will be missing proper dependencies.

> Alternatively, is there an easy way to run chrooted pkgsrc builds on
> Solaris, with LOCALBASE=3D/usr/local inside the chroot, then use gensolpkg
> inside the chroot, and Solaris "pkgadd" outside the chroot?

yes, but see above.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --