Subject: Re: NetBSD packages and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <>
From: Hauke Fath <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/25/2005 16:20:32
Am 25.10.2005 um 12:20 Uhr +0200 schrieb Joerg Sonnenberger:
>On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 11:43:03AM +0200, Hauke Fath wrote:
>  > [...] I found that those applications (typically of the more
>  > complex variant, like XEmacs or Firefox) tend to pick up Linux shared
>>  libraries. The environment that Matlab sets up for a shell exit
>>  contains
>>  >> !echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>>  >>
>That's the reason why I normally install the programs completely under
>/usr/pkg/emul :-)

That's a WA^Weducated guess, since I haven't actually done a
re-install of Matlab to /usr/pkg/emul/linux/opt, but -- wouldn't the
paths in LD_LIBRARY_PATH show up just the same since a linux binary
sets them up against the emulation root?

>  > which apparently is enough to confuse said applications. A wrapper
>>  script that unsets LD_LIBRARY_PATH successfully works around this;
>>  but it adds to the perception that NetBSD "always has to be a bit
>>  more complicated".
>It is not a NetBSD problem, the same happens on Linux, but the results
>are not as bad.

Well... I just started Matlab R13 from a shell escape out of Matlab
R14, and it worked. So it would seem a linux binary can live with the
libraries it finds along that path - probably in addition to what is
set up in the Linux /etc/

>  > Since NetBSD considers LD_LIBRARY_PATH deprecated for ELF binaries:
>>  Is there a way of globally keeping native binaries from looking at
>Well, you could make them suid/sgid, but otherwise no. LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>can not be avoided in some situations, even though stupid wrapper
>scripts are concertainly not that reason.
>Have you looked at using chrpath to eliminiate the need for the

Would that keep it from handing the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (which is set up
in the matlab startup script) over to a spawned shell?

/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
  X     No Word docs in email	                  TU Darmstadt
/ \  Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-3281