Subject: NetBSD packages and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
To: None <>
From: Hauke Fath <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/25/2005 11:43:03

recently I got complaints from users who called native NetBSD
applications from Matlab's shell exit and saw them fail. When I
investigated I found that those applications (typically of the more
complex variant, like XEmacs or Firefox) tend to pick up Linux shared
libraries. The environment that Matlab sets up for a shell exit

>>  !echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

which apparently is enough to confuse said applications. A wrapper
script that unsets LD_LIBRARY_PATH successfully works around this;
but it adds to the perception that NetBSD "always has to be a bit
more complicated".

Since NetBSD considers LD_LIBRARY_PATH deprecated for ELF binaries:
Is there a way of globally keeping native binaries from looking at

/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
  X     No Word docs in email	                  TU Darmstadt
/ \  Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-3281