Subject: Re: Support for marking packages as installed automatically as dependencies
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/24/2005 22:04:36
In article <Pine.LNX.4.61.0510241939110.18516@m24s24.vlinux.de> Hubert wrote:
: I have only one minor concern: "pkg_info -a" does something now, and
: you're changing this. How about using -A for the new thing?

  Actually, we changed what pkg_info without arguments does: it now
lists only user-installed packages, omitting automatically installed
packages.

  pkg_info -a lists all packages, including automatically installed
packages.

: Also, I'd rewrite the whole description of pkg_info's -a switch:

:   Show information for all currently installed packages.
: +By default, automatically installed packages (as dependencies
: +of other packages) are not displayed.

: First it's "all" packages, then there's some restriction. How about:

: Show information on all packages that were installed by the user.
: This list does not packages that were added automatically in the process,
: e.g. as dependencies).
: To get a full list do XXX what?

  I think you misunderstood what -a does.  -a is exactly how you get the
full list.

						yours,
						dillo