Subject: database/db4 - compilation fails on Debian (libtool help please)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/22/2005 01:19:07
Hello,

I am attempting to compile databases/db4 on a Debian sarge system. The
package fails the installation step because of:

   cp: cannot stat `.libs/libdb4_cxx-4.3.so': No such file or directory

I checked 'config.log' for hints but found none; I then inspected the
compilation session. The problem seems to be that when libtool is
invoked in linking mode for the C++ library, it chooses to only create
a static library (just invoke 'ar'), while it does create both a
static and a dynamic library when linking the C API ('ar' and 'gcc
-shared' are invoked).

C library command line:

   /usr/pkgsrc/databases/db4/work/.tools/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link
       gcc -version-info 3:28 -rpath /usr/pkg/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib
       -o libdb4-4.3.la  <bunch of .lo files>

C++ library command line:

   /usr/pkgsrc/databases/db4/work/.tools/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link
      g++ -avoid-version -O2 -rpath /usr/pkg/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib
      -o libdb4_cxx-4.3.la <bunch of .lo files>

I have very little clue on the inner workings of libtool, and I was
hoping somebody with more knowledge of it might be able to shed some
light on this. What would cause libtool not to detect the ability to
create dynamically linked libraries with C++ (which I assume, perhaps
incorrectly, is what is happening)?

Thanks!

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org