Subject: Updating dvd::rip - packaging issue + perl issue
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/16/2005 01:00:52
Hello,

I would like to submit an update to multimedia/dvdrip. However,
there are a couple of issues:

Newer versions of dvd::rip (0.52.* is latest stable) require
libintl-perl, which does not seem to be packaged. I have prepared
a p5-Locale-libintl package for this purpose. Now, should I:

  (a) commit p5-Locale-libintl along with e.g. dvdrip052 to
      pkgsrc-wip

      or

  (b) submit a single PR suggesting both the creation of
      devel/p5-Locale-libintl and the update of
      multimedia/dvdrip

Any thoughts on what would be preferable?

Secondly, it appears dvd::rip (neither the current version or the
one I an updating to) actually *runs* at the moment because
perl bails on startup due to an attempt to invoke
pthread_mutex_unlock() on an unlocked mutex.

Based on the gdb strack trace it is caused/triggered by the GTK
bindings. gtk_main() is the offender, which seems to be part of GTK
rather than the binding. Since I am neither into GTK nor into perl I
stopped my investigation at this point under the assumption that the
problem is caused by some non-trivial combination of factors (unless
GTK is universally broken, which I doubt).

It is easy to work around the problem by setting PTHREAD_DIAGASSERT to
some appropriate value. The question is, would it be considered
consistent with pkgsrc policy to have the pkgsrc-wip/pkgsrc package
install a wrapper script that modifies PTHREAD_DIAGASSERT to work
around the problem? Personally I feel its a good idea unless somebody
can fix the underlying problem. Afterall, the thing *runs*, and the
bug is probably triggered on other platforms aswell - just not having
any immediate effect due to less agressive error checking. So from
a user's stand-point I would rather have it working-but-buggy than
not working with no fix in sight.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org