Subject: Re: make deinstall or pkg_del
To: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/15/2005 00:17:38
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, George Georgalis wrote:

> Thanks! what is the result of the .install_done remaining if I
> do pkg_del after a make install? eg NOP the next time I try make
> install?

It's mainly something to worry about if you're reinstalling a built package
without "make clean".  The .install_done file tells pkgsrc that the install
phase of building from source is done; so, when you "make deinstall", it is
convenient to remove that file so that you can do "make install" again.

Note, there is also a "make reinstall" that simply deletes the .install_done
file and redirects to "make install".  So in essence, "make deinstall" +
"make install" == "pkg_delete" + "make reinstall".  Of course, "make
deinstall" + "make reinstall" works too, because there's no harm in deleting
an already deleted file.  8-)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>