Subject: Re: Possible speed improvement to mk/bulk/tflat
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/10/2005 19:33:08
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> > One note is that this script does not print out no-dependency packages at
> > all.  I don't think the bulk build system cares if the line is omitted
> > entirely, but I don't yet know if that is true, as this hasn't been tried in
> > a bulk build yet.
> Please do - I'd hate to not see those "no-dependency packages" not being built
> at all. :)

Hm, I think the act of building is governed by the .order file, which this
script doesn't touch.  I'll know for sure soon when I can get a chance to
try it in practice.

(There are some other speedups I'm contemplating, too.  Currently the
pre-build step is traversing every package with bmake at least three times,
and up to as many as six.  Instead, a single target could dump out
everything that the bulk build needs for a single package in one go.  Then
it's just up to tsort, tflat, etc. to sort through the data.)

-- Todd Vierling <> <> <>