Subject: Re: python binary
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/10/2005 22:04:19
In article <434AC69B.8040700@pkgsrc.org> Johnny wrote:
:  Mapping
: that idea to current pkgsrc, that would mean, e.g. for the bittornado
: package, we symlink /usr/pkg/bin/python2.4 to
: /usr/pkg/libexec/interpreters/bittornado-python, then we make the
: bittornado *.py scripts start with:

:         #! /usr/pkg/libexec/interpreters/bittornado-python

: This way, regardless of what other python packages you installed on the
: system or what your PATH looked like, bittornado would always use the
: python binary from the package named in its dependency list.  Also,
: unmanaged scripts can do whatever they want, i.e. hardcode a specific
: python binary, or use the well-known env PATH trick.

  Who creates that symlink, and what's the advantage over simply
making the scripts start with

	#! /usr/pkg/bin/python2.4

directly?

					yours,