Subject: Re: Use of ${PKGNAME} can lead to confusion
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/09/2005 16:51:57
In article <20051009144031.GX13808@gallia.cubidou.net> Quentin wrote:
: On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 10:25:38AM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
: > I can't think of any cases off the top of my head where the PKGREVISION
: > *should* be in the DIST_SUBDIR.

: When the distfile is versioned and yet change (i.e., moronic packager),
: something has to version it.  We (ab)use PKGREVISION for that.

  This is, as you suggest, abusing PKREVISION, and that practice
should stop.  What we really want is a revision number of the
distfile.  Since DIST_SUBDIR is the only place we need that revision,
I would suggest something like

	DIST_SUBDIR=${PKGNAME_NOREV}-1

  Often, there is no need to bump the PKGREVISION (e.g. for a typo fix
in a README file that does not get installed), and there is no need to
re-fetch the distfile for an unrelated PKGREVISION bump later.

						yours,
						dillo