Subject: Re: Use of ${PKGNAME} can lead to confusion
To: Todd Vierling <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/09/2005 16:32:00
On 10/9/05, Todd Vierling <> wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > You mean, no indication besides common sense?  There are very little
> > cases where DIST_SUBDIR=3D${PKGNAME_NOREV} would make sense.
> No, I think the other way round doesn't typically make sense.  All the ca=
> I can remember of:
> were because the distfiles were *unversioned*, thus they had to be
> downloaded into a place that disambiguated the files when they changed
> [author-specified] version.  In every single such case, it really should =
> I can't think of any cases off the top of my head where the PKGREVISION
> *should* be in the DIST_SUBDIR.

There are cases where the distfile is versioned but, nevertheless, the auth=
replaces it with a newer one sometime in the future.  The reasons vary, but
it's often to fix trivial things such as typos or small bugs.  Hence, we ne=
to bump the revision to differentiate the versions and force a new fetch.

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -