Subject: Re: pkgsrc vs. Fink vs. DarwinPorts?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/08/2005 19:39:56
On Oct 8, 2005, at 5:12 PM, Georg Schwarz wrote:

> Has anyone tried Fink and/or Darwinports and could give their
> impression
> of  how they compare to pkgsrc on MacOS X?

pkgsrc as a whole works nicely on Mac OS X. Individual packages may
or may not, depending on whether anyone's tested them on OS X. (Most
Fink and Darwinports packages do build on OS X, for obvious reasons.)
This is a catch-22 of sorts: we need more people applying OS X
package fixes in order to recommend pkgsrc for wider use on OS X, and
we need pkgsrc in wider use on OS X to have more people applying OS X
package fixes.

Since you're already a developer, it'd be great to have you using
pkgsrc on OS X and fixing whatever problems you encounter in the
packages you use.

- Amitai