Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/05/2005 15:08:06
Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Roland Illig wrote:
>

>>Another possibility would be:
>>
>>SKIP_PHASES=    extract patch configure build install
>>
>>This would reduce the number of lines in quite many packages, without being
>>unreadable.
>

> I've used empty do-* targets in my local pkgsrc packages (non-mainline,
> non-wip) for years.  I still wonder why this isn't usable instead.
>
> do-build: # empty

The value of the SKIP_PHASES can be checked for mis-spellings. The
targets cannot.

I generally prefer completely declarative packages (containing only
variables and the final .include line) over packages containing shell
code, even if the code is empty.

Using SKIP_PHASES would save us a few lines of code.

Roland