Subject: Re: Bulk builds of pkgsrc-2005Q3 branch?
To: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/05/2005 10:47:07
Juan RP wrote:
> Are you using USE_TOOLS=no in /etc/mk.conf without protecting
> the pkgsrc part with BSD_PKG_MK?
>
> Example:
>
> USE_TOOLS=no
>
> .ifdef BSD_PKG_MK # pkgsrc stuff
> [...]
> .endif
>
> That should work... are you using something like this? if you're not,
> I don't think you need to send a PR, because you have to protect
> pkgsrc things inside BSD_PKG_MK.

That's upside down - if what I've experienced is not to be considered a
bug (namespace intrusion) then you need to protect pkgsrc builds _from_
base os make variables, i.e. put those into an .else clause in the above
statement.

I've done that in the meantime, and it fixes my problem.

Scanning doc/pkgsrc.mk, I see a platform-specific hint for OpenBSD,

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/platforms.html#openbsd

but AFAIK the fact that pkgsrc ignores _NetBSD_ make variable namespace
has not been advertised, so far. This you could call a doc bug.

Do you feel like fixing the pkgsrc doc, or should I send-pr?  ;)

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik