Subject: location of man pages customizable
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2005 11:07:13
This has been discussed off and on for over two years.
Now I was asked by pkgsrc-pmc to commit to pkgsrc support for a
customizable location of man pages.

I added a custom PKGMANDIR?= man. For over two years, I have used
PKGMANDIR=share/man in my mk.conf files on various systems.

I also "chmod 0 man" to make sure it was not used. And I fix problems as I
have had time or need.

I have over 65 packages to update to help honor this. This includes some
patches/ patches. So if you work on this, please ask me if I already did
it but have not committed yet.

(Sorry I didn't commit all at once. Since I have had this in place for
over two years, I also possibly have various other changes that I don't
want to commmit simultaneously. So I am reviewing ...)

Many packages already use patches or workarounds to install man pages to
man/ so changing to ${PKGMANDIR}/ works in same place.

Other changes include fixing INSTALLATION_DIRS and INSTALL_MAN references
to use ${PKGMANDIR}/ instead of man/. I chose to do individually instead
of fixing for all in bsd.pkg.mk to make sure this doesn't get to
confusing. Should I make INSTALLATION_DIRS and/or INSTALL_MAN do this
automatically?

The PLISTs can stay the same. bsd.pkg.mk converts man/ to ${PKGMANDIR}/.

Also if you have an old GNU_CONFIGURE script that doesn't know --mandir,
then fix it or use CONFIGURE_HAS_MANDIR=NO. (This is like existing
CONFIGURE_HAS_INFODIR.)

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
 	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/