Subject: Re: www/firefox without Xft support on Solaris
To: None <segv@netctl.net>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2005 12:27:23
On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 01:05:31 +0100
segv@netctl.net wrote:

> Hi, after 2 days of compiling www/firefox on my slow Ultra 10 I was horrified
> to find out it was built without support for Xft. As a result all fonts look
> ugly as hell.
>
> I added the following two lines to my mk.conf and rebuilding firefox again,
> hopefully this time support for Xft will be added
>
> PREFER_PKGSRC=yes
> MOZILLA_USE_XFT=yes
>
> My question is: why does building of www/firefox on Solaris does not include
> Xft support by default? I mean every sane person wants to have antialiased
> fonts.

OK, I think I found where the problem is:

www/firefox pulls in the following Makefile

www/mozilla/Makefile.common

which has the following lines

#.if ${MOZILLA_USE_XFT} == "YES" && exists(${X11BASE}/include/X11/Xdefs.h)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --enable-xft
# pkgconfig defaults to a "build" dependency, which is what we want.
.include "../../fonts/Xft2/buildlink3.mk"
.endif

on Solaris 10 there is no /usr/openwin/include/X11/Xdefs.h file, so Xft support
for Mozilla/Firefox is not enabled

I have changed the above to:

#.if ${MOZILLA_USE_XFT} == "YES"
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --enable-xft
# pkgconfig defaults to a "build" dependency, which is what we want.
.include "../../fonts/Xft2/buildlink3.mk"
.endif

and rebuilding www/firefox for the 3rd time!!

What is the significance of Xdefs.h file?