Subject: Re: boost-libs compilation takes *extremely* long
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/2005 01:27:11
On Mon 03 Oct 2005 at 02:01:24 +0200, Rhialto wrote:
> monotone: fatal: std::exception: Botan: char2digit: Invalid decimal char

This really seems related to the version of boost-libs.

I manually compiled the same version of monotone-0.22 twice: once in the
production system with the older boost 1.32, and once in the pkg_comp
chroot with boost 1.33. The former worked (or at least didn't produce
this error message) while the latter failed. Weird... Libraries compiled
with gcc 3.4 are hopefully compatible with apps compiled by 3.3, right?

Wrong! Once again recompiling monotone in the chroot, this time with
gcc-3.4, makes it work...

So gcc 3.3 and 3.4 are not producing binary compatible
objects/libraries!

That sounds like rather bad news to me - given that for instance firefox
is compiled with gcc-3.4... but definitely not all of its
dependencies...

-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.