Subject: Re: make update - wrong order?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/03/2005 15:54:16
On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 03:39:24PM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> Yes, but Jeroen's approach could maximize package availability.  Of course,
> once you have updated the lowest package in the dependency chain, you
> cannot warrant that all the other ones will work until you've rebuilt them, but
> they will be fine in most cases.

The problem is that is doesn't work for anything but "minor" updates. A
lot of people enjoy the behaviour e.g. of portupgrade, but forget that
it is inherently dangerous. Now given that a lot of authors don't even
grasp the concept of shared library major numbers, do we really want to
try this?

If you just want to update to the newest revision, you can always use
"make replace" and it should be pretty safe in that case.

Joerg