Subject: Re: Symlinking ruby${RUBY_VER} to ruby?
To: None <>
From: Takahiro Kambe <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/03/2005 00:21:37
In message <>
	on Sun, 2 Oct 2005 14:22:24 +0200,
	"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <> wrote:
> > > installing it as ruby?  Being able to install both ruby-1.6 and
> > > ruby-1.8?  Any other?
> > Yes, it is to allow installing multiple versions of ruby (like python).
> > And pkgsrc/lang/ruby gives specific symbolic link to ${PREFIX}/bin/ruby.
> I guess ruby* ought to be converted to use the alternatives framework
> (as done with python).
I would not opposite to supporting alternatives framework. but I have
a few questions.

What is current status of alternatives framework?

I couldn't find documentation in pkgsrc/doc/pkgsrc.txt and
pkg_alternatives is optional tool.

So, I understand it as "another way." and there should be other way
(as symlink ${PREFIX}/bin/ruby18 as ${WRKDIR}/.buildlink/bin/ruby or

Takahiro Kambe <>