Subject: Re: [RFC] Where to put license files?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/28/2005 20:22:44
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> writes:

> Benefit of the current solution that I see is that
> 1) we have all licenses in 1 place, and can have an easy overview

I don't mean to be difficult, but I genuinely don't see the value of
such an overview.  We have tons of programs, some of them are
non-free, and almost every non-free program has its own license that
if you want to understand you have to read.  I ran ls in
pkgsrc/licenses, and was not further enlightened, except by knowing
that there are 56 such licenses.  Could you explain the value you see?

> 2) if a second package comes up with that license, you see that
>     it's already there.

Agreed, but I think that should be rare.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>