Subject: make update fails
To: None <>
From: Jan Danielsson <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/23/2005 09:30:53

Hello all,

   "make update" no longer works properly on my system[*][**]. When I
run it in a package directory, I get this:

pkg_info: option requires an argument -- e
usage: pkg_info [-BbcDdFfhIikLmNnpqRrSsVv] [-e package] [-K pkg_dbdir]
[-l prefix]
                pkg-name [pkg-name ...]
       pkg_info -a [flags]
       pkg_info -Q variable pkg-name [pkg-name ...]

   ... then it starts building the project. But because the pkg_info
failes, the program isn't deinstalled properly, so when the build is
complete, the installation fails, leaving me with the old version of the

   Now, I thought I'd try to fix it myself, but it seems that the pkg
build system is much more hairy than I thought. I'm not sure I like the
idea of poking around in that without more time on my hands.

   Anyway, I figured out when it fails, and why -- but not what is
causing it:

        echo ${PKGNAME}
        echo ${PKGBASE}
.  if ${UPDATE_TARGET} != "replace"
        ${_PKG_SILENT}${_PKG_DEBUG}if ${PKG_INFO} -qe ${PKGBASE}; then  \
                ${MAKE} ${MAKEFLAGS} deinstall UPDATE_RUNNING=YES
                || (${RM} ${DDIR} && ${FALSE});                         \
.  endif

   ... this will echo the package name, but the next row will be empty.
So PKGNAME is set properly, but not PKGBASE.

Am I really the only one seeing this?

[*] NetBSD anca 2.0.2 NetBSD 2.0.2 (ANCA) #7: Tue Sep  6 19:35:32 CEST
2005  jan@anca:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/ANCA i386

[**] pkgsrc-current

Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson
Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (MingW32)