Subject: Re: Opera update: no more banners
To: None <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/22/2005 20:46:49
Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 04:21:52PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > freeware is an undefined term.
>
> It's the contents of the license-file that matters, not its name.

That's what is most important, but I view pkgsrc as setting an example
for careful use of terminology.  My experience has been that some people
using the term freeware mean software that is gratuit but not libre,
and that some (most perhaps) don't understand licensing issues.  Thus,
I avoid the term completely.

> Yes, agreed.  But I still don't like opera-licese-2005.  What if Opera
> decides to change the license again in october 2005? :-)

opera-license-2005A, or we could use full IS8601 dates.

> What about opera-license-850, to be interpreted as "license of Opera
> versions starting from 8.50" ?

Sure, that seems fine.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>