Subject: Re: Renaming audio/musicpd to audio/mpd ?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/18/2005 22:07:51
On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 04:59:35PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 08:44:55AM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 04:16:16PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> > > It's annoyed my for a while that the package for the mpd program is
> > > called "musicpd".  However, it's also been pointed out to me that "mpd"
> > > is a FreeBSD port for a multi-link ppp daemon program.
> > >
> > > Usually when I look for a program on pkgsrc I start with
> > > "ls pkgsrc/*/*prog*", and this could lead to people to believe that
> > > there's no package for mpd.
> >
> > Other people may start looking for pkgsrc/*/musicpd, and will not find it
> > if it's renamed to mpd. :-)  The website is called www.musicpd.org...
>
> Hm... then the package name should stay musicpd, and the binary it creates
> should be renamed to that, too.

It seems like it may be best to leave the package name as "musicpd".  As
I mentioned, this was more an annoyance than anything else.  I might
however add the program name (mpd) to the COMMENT line once the pkgsrc
freeze is over.

However, I'm strongly against renamed the installed binary - nowhere is
it referenced on the www.musicpd.org website or in any documentation
that it's the "musicpd" program.  I suspect that the Montgomery Police
Department got mpd.org first and that's the only reason that the mpd
program is distributed from a site by a different name than the program
itself.

Simon.
--
Simon Burge                                   <simonb@wasabisystems.com>