Subject: Re: bmake and bootstrap and own.mk and MKCONF
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/17/2005 08:45:24
On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 08:21:01PM -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> Thanks for looking at this btw.
> >But on NetBSD, the bsd.own.mk is not created -- as your comment in
> >install-mk says "if this is a BSD system the bsd.*.mk should exist and
> >be used."
>
> If you look at install-mk you'll see
>
> #       FORCE_BSD_MK:
> #               By default if bsd.*.mk exist in the standard location,
> #               they are used there and not provided in "dest".
> #               If set to 'cp' or 'ln' the standard bsd.*.mk are
> #               replicated to "dest".  If set to any other non-empty
> #               value, or if no bsd.*.mk exist in a standard location
> #               the generic prog.mk et al are symlinked to bsd.*.mk
>
> but I generally think it is a better idea to leave bsd.*.mk alone on
> such systems.  If you have a set of *.mk specific to your project, I'd
> put them in pkgsrc/mk

The problem with this approach is that it makes devel/bmake unusable
e.g. on DragonFly, since we have some features in the native make which
are not supported by bmake. I mean not for pkgsrc itself (that can be
fixed e.g. by changing MAKECONF), but for those packages not depending
on gmake.

The main difference on the various platforms is how man pages are
handled, am I right? So can't we provide common bsd.*.mk rules for all
platforms and a possible slightly different sys.mk? Maybe even abstract
the few platform specific parts of bsd.*.mk which remain out?

Joerg