Subject: Re: CGI changes for the php4 and php5 packages
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/16/2005 09:40:41
On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 03:11:46PM -0400, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> My original goal was simply to provide a FastCGI-capable PHP
> installation by default.  I had suggested getting rid of
> --enable-discard-path for only this reason, but I freely admit that I
> didn't understand the ramifications of this.
>
> Since it's clear that there are some trade-offs that have to be made
> depending on whether you decide to run PHP as a CGI or with FastCGI (in
> particular, the --enable-discard-path option), perhaps we could provide
> php-fastcgi packages instead?  I would normally just use a PKG_OPTION
> for something like this, but I think that having the bulk builds
> automatically build and provide binary packages for a PHP package that
> does FastCGI is desirable enough to warrant a separate package.

I'd actually prefer if there were single package, even if that would
mean dropping --enable-discard-path and dropping support for the

It would be good to check what actual effect on the environment
would dropping enable-discard-path have. Anyone can help with that?

Jaromir
-=- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=-
-=- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=-