Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mail/exim
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/14/2005 11:51:06
hi,

> > Please prefix package-specific options with `exim-'.
>
> 	Various other packages do not seem to do this - dspam for example
> 	has
>
> PKG_SUPPORTED_OPTIONS=  largescale homedir long-usernames graphs \
>                         domainscale virtualusers preferences-extension \
>                         neural

  Those should be changed too.

> 	I'm happy to adjust exim, but do you have a reference for what
> 	constitutes package-specific?

  There is no hard reference, but some guidelines: Package specific
options are options that enable features specific to this package,
where it's unlikely that another (unrelated) package has the same (or
a similar) optional feature.

  If a group of related packages share an optional feature specific to
that group, prefix it with the name of the ``main'' package
(e. g. djbware-errno-hack).

  Global options are for enabling similar features in different
packages.  If it enables optional support for another package, it's
not package specific (since there might be other packages with
optional support for that package).  If it is a generic feature (like
IPv6 support), it's not package specific.

  [I'll add this to the pkgsrc guide.]

						yours,
						dillo