Subject: creating a package
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/13/2005 22:47:04
I'm trying to create my very first package.  More precisely, I'm taking
over something from pkg-wip that the original author no longer intends
to work on, since he no longer uses NetBSD.  After playing with it a bit
and reading through pkgsrc.txt, I have a few questions...

The original Makefile has USE_GNU_GETTEXT set to "yes" (and a
buildlink3.mk file for gettext-lib).  Is this necessary?  It compiles
and runs on 2.0 and -current without it.

The source uses autoconf, so GNU_CONFIGURE is set.  Grepping, I see
that intltool is used in autogen.sh; libtool appears there, and in
depcomp and src/Makefile.  Do I need to follow the instructions in
pkgsrc.txt for these, or are those for programs that don't use
autoconf?

What is BUILD_USES_MSGFMT?

During link time, I see the following messages:

/usr/pkgsrc/audio/gtkpod/work/.buildlink/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: warning: warning: reference to compatibility __stat13(); include <sys/stat.h> to generate correct reference
/usr/pkgsrc/audio/gtkpod/work/.buildlink/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: warning: warning: reference to compatibility __fstat13(); include <sys/stat.h> to generate correct reference
/usr/pkgsrc/audio/gtkpod/work/.buildlink/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so: warning: warning: reference to compatibility __lstat13(); include <sys/stat.h> to generate correct reference

I have no idea what those are about.  Do I need to think or worry about
them?  Are they pkgsrc-specific?