Subject: Re: proof of concept pkg upgrading tool
To: fab <fab@gnux.info>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/07/2005 23:29:38
On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 12:18:53PM +0200, fab wrote:
> Hi, I'm not expert at all, but since I suffer from the lack of "real"
> (safe without being overkill) upgrading software in pkgsrc, I decided to
> write once. Actually It does nothing, it only prints a shellscript to
> stdout, containing the list of the commands that should be executed (the
> list of the package needing upgrade, in proper order).

It seems to work quite well.  I tried the program on a non-trivial pkg tree
(only to-be-updated packages are shown in the graph), and the resulting
script looks fine (correct build order).

http://lori.mine.nu:5190/geert/pykg_upgrade/

But it doesn't have any error handling.  If e.g. kdelibs fails, it prints
out an error but just continues (needlessly) rebuilding all kde* packages.

There's room for improvement, but it looks good.

GH