Subject: Re: proof of concept pkg upgrading tool
To: fab <>
From: Geert Hendrickx <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/07/2005 23:29:38
On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 12:18:53PM +0200, fab wrote:
> Hi, I'm not expert at all, but since I suffer from the lack of "real"
> (safe without being overkill) upgrading software in pkgsrc, I decided to
> write once. Actually It does nothing, it only prints a shellscript to
> stdout, containing the list of the commands that should be executed (the
> list of the package needing upgrade, in proper order).

It seems to work quite well.  I tried the program on a non-trivial pkg tree
(only to-be-updated packages are shown in the graph), and the resulting
script looks fine (correct build order).

But it doesn't have any error handling.  If e.g. kdelibs fails, it prints
out an error but just continues (needlessly) rebuilding all kde* packages.

There's room for improvement, but it looks good.