Subject: Re: mk/install/usergroup and FreeBSD and DragonFly
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/07/2005 11:19:49
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Any ideas on how we can make this mk/install/usergroup more portable.
> This is needed as DragonFly uses pkgsrc. (They are considering our nice
> user(8) but that is another discussion.)

I would rather have +INSTALL unpack two sub-scripts, +ADDUSER and
+ADDGROUP, that are wrappers for the local adduser/addgroup actions.
The +ADDUSER script would be customized for each platform and would
invoke the correct local commands to create local users, and similarly
form +ADDGROUP.  We're not going to address questions like "how about if
we keep users in LDAP or NIS" or other nonsense like that, because those
admins just shouldn't be letting pkgsrc try to automatically create
users and groups.

Having the two sub-scripts that can be customized is better than having
a different +USERGROUP script for each platform because that script is
pretty big, and it'd be a pain to rewrite it for every platform.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>