Subject: Re: Renaming SUBDIR to SUBDIRS?
To: Roland Illig <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/05/2005 15:16:33

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 02:24:18PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> Hi all,
> currently the category Makefiles and the top-level Makefile contain many=
> lines of the form
>     SUBDIR+=3D   pkgname
> I would like to change all these instances to
>     SUBDIRS+=3D  pkgname
> as SUBDIR is a list of subdirectories and not the name of a single=20
> subdirectory. Implementing that change is not hard, but convincing=20
> old-style developers that the change is reasonable might be harder.
> By the way, make(1) allows variable names longer than 6 bytes, and we=20
> aren't on a 6-bits-per-byte, 6-bytes-per-word machine where every single=
> bit counts. ;)
> Are there any strong objections against this change?

I don't think "changes for the sake of it" are a good idea.

There is no confusion here, and everybody does that and have been doing
it for years if not decades.

You're not fixing anything here, you'll only make life harder for people
that have local changes and local code using the current semantics.

Quentin Garnier - -

Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (NetBSD)