Subject: Re: Why pkgsrc "sucks"
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/03/2005 23:22:46
On 9/3/05, Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 11:12:55PM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> > > Does the bulk build framework allow incremental compiling of only
> > > those packages that have changed?
> >
> > It's explicitly designed to do that.
>=20
> Interesting. How is it achieved? By examining timestamps on package
> Makefiles and rebuilding only those packages whose Makefiles changed more
> recently than corresponding binary packages?

It builds packages that have been updated between runs (their
version or revision has changed) and also rebuilds all packages
depending on them (to ensure that library dependencies are correct,
etc., etc.).

You can also change it through a variable to test timestamps instead
of package versions.  Or maybe it was the other way around; I don't
remember which one is the default ATM...

--=20
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/