Subject: tex-jadetex and TeTex 3
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/02/2005 10:07:08
Somehow I had these installed:

teTeX-texmf-3.0nb1
teTeX-bin-3.0nb2
teTeX-share-2.0.2nb1
teTeX-sharesrc-2.0.2
teTeX-2.0.2nb1
tex-hugelatex-2.0

Attempting to install pkgsrc/print/tex-jadetex failed with:

\font\OMS/cmsy/m/n/7=cmsy7
\font\OMS/cmsy/m/n/10=cmsy10
3633 words of font info for 14 preloaded fonts
14 hyphenation exceptions
Hyphenation trie of length 23210 has 711 ops out of 35111
   235 for language 3
   207 for language 2
   88 for language 1
   181 for language 0
No pages of output.
Transcript written on latex.log.
fmtutil: /home/reed/.texmf-var/web2c/latex.fmt installed.
---! /home/reed/.texmf-var/web2c/latex.fmt was written by pdfetex
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
*** Error code 1

I read that this is a "problem due to incompatibility
   between teTeX 2.x and 3.x,"
apparently jadetex-3.13-21 fixes this. It is in CVS I read
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7159317&forum_id=3200

Also, I see that Debian package has some configuration for fmtutil to work
with teTeX-3.0. I looked at it but I don't understand fmtutil yet.

I already had teTeX-texmf-3.0nb1 and teTeX-bin-3.0nb2 installed, but
tex-jadetex depended on tex-hugelatex which depended on teTeX>=2 and that
depended on those version 2 packages but accepted my teTeX-bin-3.

I guess teTeX should be fixed to accept teTeX-bin-2>=2.0.2. Is that an
okay DEPENDS wildcard?

So I removed those version two files and removed the dependency that
hugelatex had and reinstalled them.

Then tex-jadetex install failed with:

tex jadetex.ins
This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.4)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt tex.fmt
fmtutil: format `tex' not available.
I can't find the format file `tex.fmt'!
*** Error code 1

What can I do to use teTeX3?

(I am trying to test some stuff in my pkgsrc/doc/guide.)

  Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/