Subject: Curious deprecated option handling
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@in-nomine.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/02/2005 15:35:57
I got interested in how the deprecated options got handled when it seemingly
seems not to reflect a pkg reality.

Take for example audio/esound.

When one does the following:

$ bmake show-options
Any of the following general options may be selected:
        inet6    Enable support for IPv6.
	These options are enabled by default:
	These options are currently enabled: inet6
Deprecated variable USE_INET6 used, use PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=inet6 instead.

But:

$ grep -R USE_INET6 *

yields nothing.

It is also not one of its dependencies.  Where I am placing my money on is
the following:

bsd.prefs.mk:

# if the system is IPv6-ready, compile with IPv6 support turned on.
.if defined(USE_INET6)
.  if empty(USE_INET6:M[Yy][Ee][Ss]) || defined(USE_SOCKS)
USE_INET6=              NO
.  else
USE_INET6=              YES
.  endif
.elif empty(_OPSYS_HAS_INET6:M[nN][oO]) && !defined(USE_SOCKS)
USE_INET6=              YES
.else
USE_INET6=              NO
.endif

And indeed, when I comment this the warning disappears.  There is some logic
to be rethought here.

What's the case about USE_INET6 for non-options.mk using pkgs?  Is that
allowed or is that also logic that needs to be reordered?

Free Tibet! http://www.savetibet.org/ | http://www.andf.info/
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/
I have not yet begun to fight...