Subject: Re: devel/zlib question - exclusion
To: Johnny C. Lam <>
From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/30/2005 18:01:30
-On [20050830 17:25], Johnny C. Lam ( wrote:
>There's no reason to prohibit a package from building just because you
>have it built-in on the system.  The zlib/ file just helps the
>pkgsrc infrastructure use either the built-in zlib or the pkgsrc zlib
>when building *other* packages.

OK, that explains.

Although it might make more sense to make it anti-shoot-foot though. ;)
I.e. do nothing if called directly from the port's directory.  (Although I
can also understand the reasoning for allowing it.)
So if another pkg needs zlib it will use the in devel/zlib to
determine if the pkg needs to be built or not?
In the first case it will generate a pkg, in the latter it will not generate
a pseudo-pkg for this.  Correct?

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)> / asmodai / kita no mono
Free Tibet! |   |
Religion... Is the opium of the people...