Subject: Re: AIX 5.3 and pkgsrc and gcc
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/25/2005 16:25:10
On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Louis Guillaume wrote:

> > sigh. "gmake" is the problem here.  In their unfounded^Winsane^Winfinite
> > wisdom, the GCC folks decided to remove compatibility with non-GNU make.
> >
> > The only non-messy way I can think to resolve this is to make the gcc3
> > package build a barebones gmake (ignoring libiconv and gettext-lib) in-tree,
> > and use that instead of NetBSD's make/bmake.

> Are you saying that, given a real, existing GNU-compatible make (aka gmake),
> that libtool-base, libiconv and gettext-lib would be able to be built, thereby
> allowing pkgsrc's gmake to also be built?

No, I mean that you want to build the libtoolized libraries (libiconv,
gettext-lib) with the (newer) pkgsrc gcc.  In order to do that, you need
gcc, which requires a working gmake of some kind.

My suggestion was to produce some sort of non-gettext-ized gmake built by
the host compiler, probably by building one in-place in the gcc3 packages.
(Currently there's no support for using an external gmake or in-tree gmake
in the gcc3 packages, but this is the sort of logic I'm proposing.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>