Subject: Re: Why pkgsrc "sucks"
To: None <>
From: Richard Rauch <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/25/2005 13:43:27
If I may make a tail-end comment:

Some of the "negatives" that people list are things that I would rather
call "wish-list" items.  Of course, I'm speaking as a disinterested
party here...(^&

The issue is I guess at least partially semantic, but failure to
support many platforms (as an example) is not a fault of the way
that pkgsrc is constructed---and *every* package system fails to
support "many platforms".  I doubt you'll ever get past that unless
and until there are far fewer platforms than we see today.  (^&

That's not to say that more support isn't desirable, but to me it
is qualitatively different than, say, "pkgsrc build framework is
confusing and hard to read".

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."