Subject: Re: jdk14 native bootstrap
To: None <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/22/2005 23:27:46
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:26:23 +0200
Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be> wrote:

> As said above, I have been able to use wip/jdk14 itself to bootstrap
> wip/jdk14.  In fact, this worked out of the box.  This way, the linux jdk14
> is no longer needed once you bootstrapped wip/jdk14 once.
>
> The question now is how to handle this native bootstrapping in pkgsrc,
> since it's a circular dependency.  Please post your opinion about the
> options given above.

I think only a few players in the world are allowed to ship binary
versions of the JDK. FreeBSD might be one of them. I do not think
NetBSD has gotten such permissions from SUN. I am also unsure about the
status of native JDK on FreeBSD at the moment. (A quick browse through
the 5.4 release pre-compiled ports in the java directory did not show
anything that looked like a native JDK.)

A binary version is needed for bootstrapping purposes.

I suppose something could be fixed to handle this situation in some way:

1. user installs linux-jdk
2. user installs native jdk
3. user deinstalls linux-jdk
4. user does: 'cd pkgsrc/wip/jdk14; make update/replace'

I suppose 'replace' might work right now since it does the build before
it deinstalls anything, but it will fail if the install step wants to
do some java-thingy (compare with C/C++ binaries which might be
re-linked in the install step to change the rpath).

Perhaps a far-fetched scenario?

What did you do to enable bootstrapping with the native version? Just
change the dependancies (.include another buildlink3.mk file)? How about
some makefile logic to try and find a suitable JDK and include that
bl3 file?

--
Best regards
	Lars Nordlund