Subject: Re: intended change of the pkglint output format
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/18/2005 12:00:30
Bernd Ernesti wrote:
>>- Most gcc users (including me) are already familiar with the words
>>"error" and "warning". Users of Borland Delphi also know the word
>>"hint", which I will most probably add very soon. I also think that
>>"WARN" is a useless abbreviation and should have been "WARNING".
>

> It's not useless, it keeps the alignment of the output.

Which alignment? Please explain.

>>- The keyword "OK" does not have a clear meaning. The new keyword "info"
>>precedes information for the user, if only for debugging purposes.
>

> Whats wrong with using OK?
> For me it says that there is no problem and INFO would be just some information
> which doesn't bring it to the point that everything is ok.

I think the reason why I want to change it is that "OK" sounds like
"everything's ok", which most probably isn't when you're in debug mode.
I could also call it "debug" instead of "info", as it is intended to
provide debugging information.

>>- I don't like uppercase letters. ;)
>
> This is not a real reason for doing it.
> I personally like the uppercase ones.

Hmmm, I see that this really is an issue of opinion. I already thought
about leaving the "ERROR" in uppercase letters and making the others
lowercase, but that would be inconsistent. I just don't like it when
programs yell at me just because of warnings. Well, let's hear some
other opinions.

Roland