Subject: IPv4/IPv6 in OSS [Was: Re: increase datasize resource limit]
To: None <,>
From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/11/2005 10:22:39
-On [20050811 06:47], Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai ( wrote:
>That should not be a solution.  That's only about IPv4 endpoints being
>addressable through IPv6 addresses (::, the 0 setting means you
>reenabled them, this is RFC compliant, but security-wise an issue).
>Why do I get the feeling a lot of OSS projects have little clue how to
>properly write applications that use IPv4/IPv6.

Just to make sure my knowledge is not missing anything, the only way to
properly get about this is, as most people think:

You support IPv4 binding, IPv6 binding, and a dual binding on IPv6 where
IPv4 gets mapped to IPv6.  The IPv4-mapped-in-IPv6 issue is a controversial
one (see amongst other things Metz & Itojun-san's
draft-itojun-v6ops-v4mapped-harmful as submitted to the IETF).

So why don't most applications just support -4, -6 flags to specify only
IPv4 or IPv6 and bind to both otherwise (and I am not meaning the mapped

Or have I lost my marbles somewhere?

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)> / asmodai / kita no mono
Free Tibet! |   |
Every person takes the limits for their own field of vision for the
limits of the world...