Subject: Re: how to handle dynamic config-file generation?
To:, Geert Hendrickx <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/07/2005 13:51:20
On 8/7/05, Geert Hendrickx <> wrote:
> I'm creating a package for a program which wants to auto-generate its
> config file after "make install".  It first checks whether the config fil=
> (in ${PKG_SYSCONFDIR}) exists, and if not, generates a quite generic (not
> at all host-specific) example config file.  How should I handle this in
> pkgsrc?

Make the package use ${PREFIX}/share/examples/<package>/ instead
of ${PKG_SYSCONFDIR}.  This way, the file will never exist and will always
be generated from scratch.

You can then use the install framework to copy the file into
${PKG_SYSCONFDIR} iff needed.  (See CONF_FILES.)

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -