Subject: Re: register screen in /etc/shells?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/29/2005 17:04:47
--dZRDC+ooC0woGCz3

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 04:56:48PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> >Since misc/screen can be used as a login shell, maybe pkgsrc should add =
it
> >to /etc/shells at once?
>=20
> 'screen' is not a usual login shell (or not usually used as login shell),=
=20
> as such I don't think we should add it. If we started that, we could add=
=20
> ~every program to /etc/shells. Which we most certaily do NOT want.

It's designed to be used as a login shell.  The feature is documented,
and it behaves in a slightly different way if it is used that way.

> If an admin is clueful enough to use screen as login shell, he certainly=
=20
> will remember to add it to /etc/shells (if needed).

I saw the PR, and I feel a bit uncomfortable making screen a part of
/etc/shells unconditionally.  OTOH, if the user has to add an entry in
mk.conf for it, it's just the same as adding the entry in /etc/shells.

My main concern with having screen as a login shell, is what happens
when you launch a shell from an application?

--=20

--dZRDC+ooC0woGCz3

--dZRDC+ooC0woGCz3--