Subject: slow builds on interix
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/26/2005 22:29:38
Hello,

I just tried pkgsrc on Interix today. However, there seems to be
something wrong with my setup, because pkgsrc builds seem very slow.

And the problem does not seem to be Interix itself, because if I
extract the package source code somewhere and do manually
configure and make, everything happens very snappily indeed. Only
under pkgsrc things slow down. And under pkgsrc everything is much
slower: configure script seems to take about twice as long, gcc
takes longer to compile files. And in install phase even installing
short info files (for example) can take up to 10 seconds.

Most of the time when things go slowly (for example the install),
CPU load is at 0, so the machine is just sitting there doing nothing.

Is there some knack to fix this, or is there something in pkgsrc
that just simply makes it go slow on Interix?

The system is: fresh W2k server, fresh SFU 3.5 install (as per pkgsrc
Interix readme), current pkgsrc.