Subject: Re: missing {LOCALBASE}/bin/python?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/24/2005 00:32:35
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:04 pm, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> > system. Do I have to manually create a link python ->
> > python${PY_VER_SUFFIX} or is there a magical way of doing this by means
> > of setting an optional pkgsrc variable?
>
> We used to have a python package that simply created the
> ${PREFIX}/bin/python symlink to real PYTHONBIN.
>
> This was removed on Jan. 30; the following is from cvs commit message:
>
>    "... In order to preserve a similar behavior to this one using the
>    new framework, start by installing pkg_alternatives. Then just open
>    its manpage, scroll down to the EXAMPLES section, Applying filters
>    subsection, and follow the (rather short) directions given there."
>
> I have not tried it myself though.

Thanks, I thought this was the case. I'm sure that previously a software link
was created to the binary of the preferred binary version. I consider the
current situation unacceptable and a bug.

<make a wish>
Can return to a system that will create a software link pointing it to the
binary of the preferred python version, e.g. by means of setting a pkgsrc
option variable in mk.conf?
</make a wish>

cheerio Berndt