Subject: Re: Pending perl changes
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/16/2005 22:48:59
On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 06:16:27PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>
> > If you blindly use CPAN, odds are that you'll install into the "site"
> > directories.
>
> OK, then taking this case and combining with:
>
> > The user must manually run the appropriate command to symlink scripts into
> > /usr/pkg/bin, which frankly, I discourage because I don't want
> > non-pkgsrc-managed things to end up under /usr/pkg.
>
> Why not set siteprefix (as you mention below) to /usr/local by default?  If
> pkgsrc will not be installing anything in the siteprefix anymore, why not
> keep it outside of ${PREFIX} by default so that it's less likely to conflict
> at all?

Because "all defaults sucks", but if it's set to "/usr/pkg", the
default setup will still work with pkgsrc, and we don't presume to
use /usr/local for anything that might conflict with the user's
intentions.  It also avoids the question of what to do if LOCALBASE
is "/usr/local" as is popular in some installations.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>