Subject: Re: Pending perl changes
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/16/2005 17:25:27
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> > There should be NO special handling required to get *applications* into
> > $PREFIX/bin, even if they use MakeMaker.  If that is not the default
> > behavior, the changes are broken.
>
> I disagree.  What would normally be installed into /usr/pkg/bin (the "script"
> directory for a perl module) is now installed into
> /usr/pkg/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/bin and then symlinked over into /usr/pkg/bin.

So long as this does not require special pkgsrc buttressing (i.e., perl
still installs into PREFIX/bin if I use CPAN directly), then it's OK.

It must be possible to build CPAN or MakeMaker based applications in
general, directly (not via pkgsrc), and get them installed to PREFIX/bin
like all other Perl applications.  Sure, it would be best if everything were
in pkgsrc, but it is not always the case, and Perl should act like ... Perl.

> This allows installing perl modules that are also in the base perl
> distribution but that would also install scripts that, before these changes,
> would conflict with perl's own scripts, but would now simply be replaced via
> symlink instead.

We have a need to update base Perl scripts?  .pm's are easy to override by
virtue of @INC being properly ordered, but what base install scripts need
this special handling?

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>