Subject: Re: Pending perl changes
To: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/15/2005 21:25:54
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Geoff Wing wrote:

> 2) Also, what's with
>   Installing manpages to "/usr/pkg/lib/perl5/man":
> where previously they'd go to "/usr/pkg/man" (mail/mhonarc did this and failed
> on PLIST stuff)?

Because it's a *crapload* of manpages, and many started conflicting with
other packages because of colliding names.

Originally, I turned off .pm-generated manpages for section 3 completely
(after all, you don't actually need them -- "perldoc" can be used in place
of "man" to display it right from the .pm).  They were turned back on to
address some users' desires, but they were put in the lib/perl5 directory to
keep them from colliding as they previously did.

> 3) mail/spamassasin is installing in
>   /usr/pkg/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/
> where previously it would go in
>   /usr/pkg/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/
> but PLIST is properly determined.  This looks like a deliberate change to
> allow updating perl without updating the local packages that depend upon it,
> however this doesn't really make sense with our pkgsrc system (unless you
> force a perl update in place).

Actually, a lot of people use "make replace", or use prebuilt binary perl
module packages with an updated perl.  So the desire to have a "compatible"
fixed version directory is valid.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>