Subject: Re: Auto-cleaning ${WRKDIR}
To: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/15/2005 17:54:42
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Amitai Schlair wrote:

> People seem to get bit fairly often, in various ways, by stale pkgsrc work
> dirs. What's the purpose of leaving ${WRKDIR} around after, e.g., "install" or
> "package"? What would be the drawbacks of automatically "clean"ing, by
> default, after user-oriented targets? Of course, we'd want to avoid
> auto-cleaning if PKG_DEVELOPER is set.

Careful:  some targets are very reliant on ${WRKDIR} remaining.  "package"
is a stage after "install", so it is nontrivial to autoclean after "install"
safely.  Also, "replace" is an alternate form of "install", but it is very
important not to autoclean after "replace" if something goes wrong (so that
"undo-replace" works).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>