Subject: How to use "make update" with perl?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/05/2005 16:23:38
Hello,

I currently have perl-thread package and many packages which depend on it,
from about autumn 2004.

I now have downloaded pkgsrc-2005Q2. perl-thread doesn't exist amymore. So
I did cd lang/perl58; make update.

After compiling, make complained:

===> perl-5.8.6nb4 conflicts with installed package(s): perl-thread-5.8.4nb1  found.
*** They install the same files into the same place.
*** Please remove perl-thread-5.8.4nb1  first with pkg_delete(1).

I would expect make update to delete perl-thread automatically and rebuild
all the dependent packages. I can't just delete perl-thread, because
others depend on it. I could note the dependencies, remove them, remove
perl-thread, install perl58 and rebuild the dependencies manually.

But isn't make update supposed to eliminate this manual work? Is there any
"user-friendly" solution?

(I suppose the problem is that while perl58 is a "successor" to perl-thread,
they are named differently, so pkgsrc treats them as completely
independent packages. Is that right?)

Bye	Pavel